Affiliate links have been provided for convenience. For more information, see my full disclosure here.
It's Monthly DIY Challenge time!
This month's challenge product was "Air-Dry Clay" and let's just say it was an interesting product to work with. I've never worked with this type of clay before and it clearly shows in my lack of clay molding skills, ha! The user (aka myself) was clearly not trained in working with children's clay. I think I better stick to painting and power tools for now on :)
I'm just gonna admit defeat right from the get go with this project. I thought the idea was great, my execution....not so much.
Let's start from the beginning...
I used Crayola Air-Dry clay simply because that's the brand Michaels carried. (It ended up being about $4.00 after the 40% off coupon)
The rest of my supplies I already had at home. (putty knife, x-acto knife, metallic paint and leather punch alphabet set)
I pressed a small amount of clay onto a mat and flattened it with a marker. (You have to improvise when you don't own a rolling pin). In hindsight, this probably wasn't the best option since my clay never completely flattened.
***TIP*** Use the putty knife to help scrape the clay from the mat.
I used a small plastic toothpick to poke holes in the clay before I started stamping the numbers.
After the tags were stamped and dry I painted each one with a mix of gold and black nickel metallic paint. I first applied black nickel paint to the numbers then while the paint was still wet I went over the entire piece with the metallic gold paint, making sure to mix and blend the colors together.
I have to admit, the finished product was not what I was expecting. They definitely turned out looking more like gold bars rather than vintage tags.
Don't forget to check out the rest of the fabulous clay projects!