Happy Monday! I hope you all had a lovely summer weekend. We spent Saturday with no power, which meant we had no air conditioning or water. Thank goodness for awesome neighbors who allowed us to spend the day in their pools followed by a spur of the moment cookout. Unfortunately, even though the electric company was at our house ALL DAY they couldn't figure out where the line was bad. We currently have temporary power hooked up and we're crossing our fingers they don't have to dig up our newly paved driveway. Vacation can't come soon enough!
dining room update from last week? Not only did I repaint the door and walls, but I also added some new wall decor. I mentioned that I bought the old window from a co-worker (she got them super cheap from Craig's List) and the large number four was an easy DIY project. I have been searching for one with no luck, so making my own was the next best thing. It was a super easy and inexpensive DIY project that only cost a few dollars to make.
Then I cut out the sides using a jig saw.
The painting part was complete trial and error. I originally thought I wanted the four to be white, but after taking it inside and looking at it against the dark doors and old window I realized it needed to be dark.
First, I painted the sides and outer edge in dark gray using chalk paint.
I then dry brushed the outer edge and painted the inside of the four with white chalk paint.
I added a final coat of dark gray, gave it another good sanding then sealed it with antique wax.
It's the perfect contrast to the light walls and I love the aged look and variation in color.
It's amazing how much paint, an inexpensive old window and a DIY wood number four can change the feel of a space.