Another obstacle I had to deal with in our mudroom/kitchen addition was the brick chimney for our furnace. When we were planning the layout of this space I decided to keep the exposed brick, thinking I could later cover it in drywall or frame it out with shelves or lockers. I went back and forth whether or not to keep the natural brick or lighten it up with a whitewash treatment. In the end, I decided the natural brick was too dark and it needed to be brightened.
You can see as I was working down the brick the paint really soaked into the wall.
I added too much water to my paint mixture (that's what I get for eyeballing and not measuring), so I went back and did a second coat on the first side that I painted. The other two sides only got one coat of whitewash.
There is still SO much to do in this space, but it's coming along one project at a time. I REALLY want to plank the walls, but that will have to wait until phase 2 when we add the hardwood floor. In the meantime, The walls will get painted light gray and I'll either add temporary flooring or do a paint treatment to the plywood. I have two more simple projects to share in this room, then it's time to add the trim and paint.