I headed out to Home Depot to get my supplies then cut, sanded and stained the wood.
If you follow me on Instagram you a may have seen a few progress pictures and me having sudden second thoughts on building the table. My supplies were costing close to $150 and this table just wasn't turning out how I had envisioned.
Sometimes, you just have to know when to throw in the towel and realize a project just isn't worth completing, this was definitely one of those times. Although, I wasn't ready to completely give up on my hard work of cutting staining and sealing the wood. I quickly realized that the wood was the perfect size to be used as a headboard for my sons room. I love when a failed project turns into a great one.
I ended up taking one piece of wood and cutting it in half in order to lay out the headboard in a staggered brick pattern. I connected the wood pieces together using metal strips that I had previously purchased.
I was originally going to use picture hooks to attach the headboard to the wall, but it wasn't secure enough my my liking. I did some digging around the house and found a few hooks that worked out much better. They aren't meant to be used this way, but I figured out if I turned one upside down and screwed it to the back of the headboard and screwed the other one into the wall then they slide right into each other.
In order for the headboard to come off the wall it needs to be lifted up and slipped out of the hooks.
I love the rustic feel it brings to the room and how it ties in the with DIY steel pipe shelves I made for his room last year.